Thursday, January 26, 2006

Friday Musical Poop Shoot

3 Bulls needs content and the world needs music. I provide you both. You're welcome. Why is Pinko away? The world awaits with bated breath. Word on the street is that something big is happening, but nobody knows the nature of the news. Has google censored Pinko Punko or is this fallout from that picture of Pinko with Abramoff? Stay tuned .....

1. Fruit Bats - The Little Acorn
This song so good I have it in my music collection twice. Today it is coming up randomly from the Jason Lytle of Grandaddy compilaton CD Below the Radio. Fruit bats are kind of poppy country and this song ends with the most wonderful electronic Grandaddyesque keyboards. 9.5/10

2. Death Cab for Cutie - Death Of An Interior Decorator
I think the best part of this song is the title. It marks a complete departure of DCFC from their old slowcore lyrical ways to their new MTV-friendly sound. It's not that the new sound is bad, but it's just not as interesting to me. 6.5/10

3. Heather Nova - We Can Work It Out
From the I am Sam compilation of Beatles covers. I don't know why I dislike this version so much. The arrangement of the song is relatively unchanged and the song is great. I guess I really really don't like her voice and singing style. 6/10

4. The Bruces - Mountain
Why has nobody heard of The Bruces? They kind of sound like Clem Snide, but a little cleaner sounding and more melancholy. Pitchfork should have been all over these guys. Mountain is a beautiful song and has interesting features of a number of other bands that I really like. 8.5/10

5. The Strokes - 12:51
The backlash against the Strokes came so quickly and predictably, that people forgot to hate their second CD and saved all the fake hate for their latest CD. 12:51 is so typically Strokes that to call their music simply derivative misses the whole point of the Strokes. Definitely one of the best tracks on a great CD, handclaps and all. 9/10

6. Beulah - Burned By The Sun
Interestingly, this song is also on the Under The Radio collection, but this one comes straight from the sun-drenched CD The Coast Is Never Clear. This song is almost too straight-up poppy for me, but the chorus is really really good and redeems the tweeness. I love Beulah. 9/10

7. The Fiery Furnaces - Wolf Notes
This song is f*cked up. It's the most addictive sounding piece of cacophony I have ever heard at the beginning. Oh but wait, it's the Fiery Furnaces so the song just completely changes halfway through into a majestic poppy piano-fueled masterpiece. It's almost post-prog. I don't know. Fiery Furnaces are geniuses. 10/10

8. The White Stripes - I Think I Smell A Rat
Good lyrics. Good beat. Good guitar. This is the stripped-down and raw version of the White Stripes that drew critical acclaim to begin with. This is a very good track from a very very good CD. 9/10

9. Holopaw - Abraham Lincoln
Hmm, strange that I have yet another artist that vaguely falls in the alt-coutnry rootsy category. Holopaw sound a lot like Fruit Bats and The Bruces. What draws me to this track are the lyrics. I don't know what they mean but all kinds of references to the deer and the antelope playing give this song a lot of Americana feel. And that's a good thing. 8.5/10

10. Sterolab - Nihilist Assault Group
Trancy and very good music from Mars Audiac Quartet. Now there's a good track name from a good CD name. I guess it's self-explanatory. 8/10