Tuesday, November 01, 2005

My Offering to the Meme God


In hopes that my insolence will be forgiven by answering one of the five questions… Please Dear Meme God, I beseech you to release me!!

1. Of all the books that you have eventually finished after many starts and stops, which one took you the longest and how long did it eventually take.

This is a two-way tie, as I started to read Under the Volcano and Moby Dick in High School. Yes I was pretentious even back then but Moby Dick was an English class assignment and Under the Volcano was a completely different book than I expected based on the boobalicious babe and the fiery volcano adorning the cover of the high school library copy. So I made it through English class without reading Moby Dick using Cliff’s notes, my superior BS skills, and the lowered teacher expectations that I had worked so hard to develop. And after a quick scan of Under the Volcano for sex scenes it became clear that the promise of the cover was not realized in the book and it was dropped for something dirtier.

But there was something about those books that stuck with me for years afterwards. Copies were bought and later resold and bought again but never read. They just lay there mocking me. I only managed to finish both of these books about four or five years ago when I was living in Bisbee a town so isolated that they had no TV or radio reception and the interwebs was, at the time, a mere dream reserved for big city folks like those living in Tombstone or Benson. And it was there that I found the peace and the incentive of shear boredom to read these books.

And I’ve got to say that five years later not a day goes by that I don’t think about them. Not in some deeper philosophical sense mind you but rather about the high standards they set for drunkenness, love and adventure.

(Image from the Mystery Art Bage -Who's Eating Who? by Evan Harris - Circa 2003 - Acrylic on hardboard)